In this article you’ll find:
1. Illustrations: Where to place your hands when palpating a swallow (including variations for men and women)
2. How to Palpate a Swallow: Step-by-step instructions
3. FREE Printable download: ‘How to Palpate a Swallow’ Instructions
4. More Resources
First Things First
Evaluating and treating dysphagia require high levels of training and skill.
This article is intended for Speech-Language Pathologists or other qualified therapists with the appropriate training and competency to work with adults with dysphagia.
* If at any time you suspect any pharyngeal or esophageal involvement, contact the patient’s Primary Care Provider (PCP) and request an instrumental evaluation as soon as possible.
- Swallowing Exercises and Strategies
- Oral Mechnism Examination
- Liquid and Solid Trials
- Swallowing Examination Recommendations
How to Palpate a Swallow
Free Printable (PDF):
Speech Therapy Evaluation Templates
The Adult Speech Therapy Workbook
Hundreds of Handouts & Worksheets!
Complete Digital Workbook
Handouts, Worksheets, and therapist treatment guides
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive an affiliate commission, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.