In this article you’ll find:
1. Oral Mechanism Examination: Step-by-step instructions for a Clinical Bedside Swallowing Examination
2. Chart Review for a swallow examination: What to look for
3. FREE Printable download: “Oral Mechanism Examination & Chart Review” instructions
4. More Resources
- Swallowing Exercises and Strategies
- How to Palpate a Swallow
- Liquid and Solid Trials
- Swallowing Examination Recommendations
First Things First
Evaluating and treating dysphagia require high levels of training and skill.
This article is intended for Speech Language Pathologists or other qualified therapists with the appropriate training and competency to work with adults with dysphagia.
* If at any time you suspect any pharyngeal or esophageal involvement, contact the patient’s Primary Care Provider (PCP) and request an instrumental evaluation as soon as possible.
Oral Mechanism Examination
Free Printable (PDF):
Complete Digital Workbook
Handouts, Worksheets, and therapist treatment guides
The Adult Speech Therapy Workbook
Hundreds of worksheets, handouts, and therapist treatment guides
Speech Therapy Evaluation Templates
Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means that if you click on the link and purchase an item, we will receive an affiliate commission, at no cost to you. As an Amazon Associate, we earn from qualifying purchases.